Sitio en Español
Site en Français
Site em Português
Seite auf Deutsch
Ft. Lauderdale Real Estate Board
Property Listings on these pages are offered through an IDX Feed courtesy of Greater Fort Lauderdale Realtors. Due to the intracacies of our computerized MLS system certain Listings falling within stated search parameters may be ommitted. If you want to see everything on the market within your criteria feel free to contact us. We will be happy to conduct a thorough Search.
Lighthouse Point Real Estate
Homes For Sale, Search MLS Listings
Largely residential, a low-density community, Lighthouse Point is characterized by a small town atmosphere, with winding tree-lined streets, scenic waterways, parks, 13 miles of bike paths and sidewalks.
Once farmland and mangrove swamp, the first house was built in 1947 by Ms. Juliette Becker. Four years later R.E. Bateman purchased acreage to develop and the town of Lighthouse Point was incorporated in 1956.
The city is also home to Cap’s Place, a historic landmark. The oldest restaurant in Broward County, it is located on an island and can only be reached by motor launch. In 1928 Eugene Theodore “Cap” Knight and Albert Hasis beached a dredging barge on a small peninsula in the Hillsboro Inlet, built a restaurant on its stripped base. They named the restaurant Club Unique, but it was always known as “Cap's Place.” Knight had operated a store and restaurant nearby since 1920, had been a rum-runner for some time. Only accessible by water (until 1953) customers drove to Hillsboro Beach and flashed their headlights, signaling an employee, who would row across the water, take them to the restaurant. Through the 1940s Knight also operated a separate gambling establishment on another barge nearby.
With its rustic setting the restaurant had a reputation for very fresh seafood. The original dinner menu consisted of shrimp, snapper, pompano, Spanish mackerel, fried oysters, and chicken. Drinking, and later gambling, was an added draw. The swanky Hillsboro Club across the Intracoastal did not serve alcohol, so customers would come to Cap’s Place. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers, Al Capone, Meyer Lansky, Gloria Swanson, Casey Stengel, George Harrison and Errol Flynn are among the notables who have enjoyed Cap’s cuisine.